PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was the Lightning really THAT good ?
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2014, 15:48
Hammer Head Too

Location: Top floor, b@stards moved me. NO LONGER watchin the circuit
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No1 engine was lower and forward. No2 was on top and staggered towards the rear. No1 you lowered down on 4 hand operated winches. No2 you craned out with a single gib and a big crane. Both engines had separate bays but if you dropped anything whilst working on the No2 and you couldn't find it..... engine out again!!

The jet pipes were identical (more or less) with the top one being mounted 180 degrees off from the lower. Therefore all the working parts were between the pipes. As the engines were staggered there was also an inter pipe on the lower engine. These all shared a common bay and again if you dropped anything the lower (and sometimes both) had to be removed. Most of us used lots of string on our tools as you were not the flavour of the week if you were guilty of this heinous crime....

Fuel, fueldraulics, hydraulics were all a pig to work on and access was generally very very limited. Easily the hardest aircraft I worked on.

Easily the best aircraft I ever worked on as far as satisfaction was concerned as you got a real buzz seeing them fly. Last figure I heard quoted was over 125 to 1 .... and I left Binbrook 5 years before the end