PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Understanding aircraft ownership
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2003, 23:09
rtl_flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is NOT a definative cost, just my experience:

Based on Cessna 150 Aerobat.

hangar £1500 a year

Insurance for two pilots (with 100 hrs - flying 25-50 hrs each a year) and QFI, Hull value £30'000(see note below) 3rd party 1 million - costs £1200

Maternance - usually £1200 a year, to £1400 (every 3rd year for C of A). If you have the aircraft on Private CofA you can do the 50hr/6 month check as Pilot Owner (ONLY Private Cat!!).

These are your fixed costs, as you have paid out its up to you to make the most of your fixed costs.

What I do consider you SHOULD THINK VERY HARD about is what aircraft to buy and especially what condition. Are you going to buy an aircraft with fresh (new) paint , referbished interior, rebuilt engine, moder avionics etc???
Say you see a cheap Cessna 150 for £15K, think....
A good paint job will be £5-6K
Engine rebuild £5-10K
Interior Referb £3K+
Modern Avionics - depends what you want... £5K+
(A GPS/COM may cost £1200 to buy but it could cost you £1K to FIT!!!!)

A (FULL) set of aircrat covers £1-1.5K

All this adds up!!!!!

Its very much what aircraft do YOU want to fly.

A friend of mine bought a "project", basically sound but in need of a "tidy" £17K later its a fantastic aircraft . I should know I bought it after all the work had been done.

Fuel costs & oil ..... its up to how much you use it.
Engine fund ...... some people do it some dont. If its a group you should have one.

Personally I like a clean shinny airplane to fly, with modern avionics. Some people will fly anything.......

My advise is to buy the best condition aircraft you can afford, as this is your biggest cost! But thats just my view!