PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC 2 : Castles In The Sky
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2014, 09:00
cleanair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoroughly enjoyed it as TV entertainment.

Impressed once again by Eddy Izzard in a serious roll, and not a false eyelash or stiletto heal in sight!

Sadly I wish the writer, director and editor had put a little more effort into the historical accuracy of the whole story. People will be saying "it's just entertainment and not supposed to be an accurate account of history" however films and tv programmes do end up distorting the truth however unintentional.

As an example I was staying with friends in Las Vegas just after the film U571 came out on DVD. These friends are educated to phd standard and very successful business people.
We decided to watch U571 one evening which we thoroughly enjoyed as a piece of entertainment. Over a before bed tipple we were discussing the film when I mentioned that the film was in fact pretty inaccurate in the respect that it was the British who captured the enigma from U110 in 1941 and the polish had actually captured an earlier version several years beforehand.
My friend's reactions were complete disbelief and swore that nobody would be aloud to re write history in such a way. Fortunately my friends being in the IT business, they were already connected up to the Internet and used to doing research on the Web. The next morning at breakfast my friend apologised to me profusely for not believing what I had said about the film. In his embarrassment he took us out for a very nice lunch at the Bellagio.