PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bang it on???
Thread: Bang it on???
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2014, 05:59
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who is gonna cast the first stone?
I won't cast any stones PBY because, for the most part, I agree...although a instructor at a 705 operator myself, I'm lucky to have that instructing background. A small minority of the airline instructors I've come across sit back, monitor for SOP creep and pull up the pre-programmed syllabus from the box. The sim does its thing, the crew do their thing, the instructor makes comments, and the world is a happy place. But the airline industry created them. We can't fault them, we have to fault the system. Some guys are great pilots, but so-so instructors. Some great instructors are so-so pilots, and some great pilots are great instructors. It takes all types.

However, I've noticed in the last little while a big push by many of the instructors and course developers to get "back to basics." I've had many memos come down the line updating our syllabus to include a lot more "fly the airplane" work. Of course, simulator time is so precious and the amount of items that Transport wants to see out of an 8 or 10 session initial type rating does not give too much time for landing attitude training, but this is where a beefed up Line Indoctrination or even an extra sim session focusing on "technique" wouldn't go amiss.

Unless anyone has any ideas for me to send up the chain on how to include such training in an 8 session initial!?! http://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

Of course, I'm just thinking aloud here. Its a busy place up in that brain of mine and not all of it prim and proper.