PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Everybody should be able to pilot an aircraft
Old 4th Sep 2014, 20:38
Steve6443

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aaah first solo.
Did anyone else have the feeling of once in the circuit glancing at the other empy seat and thinking 'gawd now i have got to get this thing down again'
Exactly my thoughts... however my first solo was actually a series of solo Touch and Goes and upon touching down, my instructor came over the air and gave me the instruction to throttle up and go for another circuit which I obligingly did, forgetting the first rule of Touch and Goes - flaps first, throttle second.

You can imagine what happened.... The plane accelerated and rose around 10 foot off of the runway just at the same that that I selected flaps up only for the plane to start sinking.... Fortunately I didn't wrestle with the yoke but lowered the nose slightly and remember struggling along about a third of the runway with the stall horn screaming, hoping the plane would gain speed to start properly flying.....

Since then any touch and go was always: flaps first, throttle second. It's one of those mistakes you'll usually only make once..... like taking off with the door not securely latched ;-)