PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2014, 17:02
PhilipG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does this do to timelines and in year costs?

As I think many of us feel a solution to the engine problem has yet to be engineered and tested, that is if the real cause of the problem is known. I have read that P&W are going to repair all of the engines that are in existence at the moment, as has been stated well over 100 of them, quite an operation when the solution has yet to be found and the kits to implement the fix designed, produced and distributed prior to installation.

I assume that the Fort Worth production line is at best just making engine less planes, what this does to the in year cost of these LRIP aircraft could be interesting.

With the Marines wanting to declare IOC next year I assume that for this to happen they will have to have their initial squadron aircraft updated, is this really possible?

The carrier trials that the USN have planned for the F35C I suppose could be interesting and slightly prolonged if the engines have to be checked every three hours.

There are of course many other test points that may not be achievable with an aircraft limited as to what it can do.

Another year or so's delay in realistic IOC in my view, it transpires that it was a good move to delay the UK Aircraft Carriers for financial reasons some years ago.