PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Throw in the towel?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2014, 11:45
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pat

I can remember many many moons ago when I was learning having one instructor who was very arrogant and self opinionated almost to the point of making lessons a self ego trip.

I flew badly with him as my confidence was not there. He interfered to the point that I felt like a zombie flying by numbers to his command and inputs rather than naturally.
His commands were to stamp his own authority but not just that to demonstrate his superiority.

at first I took it then I started challenging him which meant the sorties became a battle of wills and bad atmosphere.

i changed instructors to a guy who was almost like flying with a friend.I felt i was flying the aircraft not him and he only intervened or added comments if need be which was rare and done in a way which was diplomatic and constructive.

the difference was immense and his comments were that I was way above average so ditch the guy and find someone you blend with rather than conflict with.
There may be a problem with asking for a new Instructor... The Flying School may not have one.
Or a second instructor may be worse. They are all different, some stricter, some unfortunately too lenient, and some are just not on the same page as the student.
Then ditch the school until you find an instructor who is right for you! Its your money and expensive at that and will end up far more expensive if you are with someone who is not getting the best from you !!! You call the shots at who you give your hard earned cash too.

Pace