PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Horse-play in the Mess
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2014, 01:10
Always a Sapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fox3, My perspective?

Probably slightly one sided considering my background before joining up (2.5 years as a Constable in Devon & Cornwall Constabulary, I was one of those that would have nicked me own grandmother for fartin or shall we just say 'keen')...

Personally I didnt find a need to get legless, break stuff or have a right bun fight to have fun...

Germany, circa 1981 RE Regt. Mess Dinner, local town dignitaries invited to O/Mess dinner. A few J/O's having made merry with pre meal drinks decided the second course wasnt coming out at the speed they wished and started banging plates, eating irons etc on their table and managed to break the extending part off the main table. Town Mayor and other guests not impressed (rumour had it table had been a gift to the mess by the Stadt or something) anyway guests had a nice evenings entertainment by the 'stars' of the regt and went away with the expected opinion. Culprits reqd to pay for repairs nothing further said apart from 'it never happend, RIGHT' or words to that effect to the waiting on 'voluntolds' (I was one, btw). One other thing, their behaviour brought the Regt and Corp into disrespect and just made us look like a bunch of numpties in front of the Regts Guests and that is UNFORGIVABLE

Couple of weeks later, late (very) noisy drinks in Sqn Bar, no damage. them as was there ended up on OC's orders, fined and 3 days ROPS (I wasnt there btw).

UK, RE Regt. O/Mess. I did a stint as Mess Manager (omg....) the amount of time that I had to take various bits of silver to the local jewellers for repair after some drunken (supposedly responsible Commisioned Officer that the toms were meant to look up to as a Troop Commander) had busted through 'horse play' or just downright 'lets throw it across the room' itis was embarrassing. I was on first name terms with the jewellers even to the point of them knowing how many sugars I took in a brew ffs. What happend to the culprits? They sometimes got the bill, but never charged mostly the repairs came out of mess funds.

Any of the guys doing something similar in the NAAFI and they were on OC's then CO's before the week was out.

Many other examples.

I don't know, right or wrong but it ALWAYS seemed to me that there was two Army's there was one that the Commisioned Ranks were in and then there was the other one. And then you had the farce (in peacetime anyway) of the person setting the rules (OC / CO) being the judge and jury on orders.

My view, right or wrong. To be honest I dont think they really understood just how much it pi**ed off the lads to see one group of the Regt (who were through their position meant to be responsible and setting an example) getting away with stuff while they would be hammered for far less.

Should we allow them to 'let of steam' ? Of course, but there's limits and the playing field should be level and BE SEEN TO BE LEVEL otherwise we have resentment setting in and a lack of respect which can lead to loss of discipline.

Am I glad I did the 22 years? yes, would I do it again? yes, but next time I would take the advice from the recruiting centre and go get a few A levels/degree and go for a commission.