PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCAS RAs -hassle and paperwork
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 22:12
Bigears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jwscud,
...it is a requirement to limit RoC to 1500fpm in the last 1000' of a climb/descent in RVSM airspace. I shall dig out the reference for you later on today...
Let me save you the hassle...

UK AIP ENR page 1.1-13 (para 3.2.2.3.1)
"...Aircraft when first approaching a cleared flight level and/or when changing flight level in Controlled Airspace should ensure that the vertical closure
speed is not excessive. It is considered that, with about 1500 ft to go to a cleared level, vertical speed should be reduced to a maximum of 1500 ft per minute and ideally to between 1000 ft per minute and 500 ft per minute..."
This is repeated in NAT Doc 007, Chapter 9 (RVSM FLIGHT IN MNPS AIRSPACE) virtually word for word.

ICAO Doc. 8168, part VIII, para. 3.3
"Pilots should use appropriate procedures by which an aeroplane climbing or descending to an assigned altitude or flight level, especially with an autopilot engaged, may do so at a rate less than 8 m/s (or 1 500 ft/min) throughout the last 300 m (or 1 000 ft) of climb or descent to the assigned altitude or flight level when the pilot is made aware of another aircraft at or approaching an adjacent altitude or flight level, unless otherwise instructed by ATC. These procedures are intended to avoid unnecessary airborne collision avoidance system (ACAS II) resolution advisories in aircraft at or approaching adjacent altitudes or flight levels. For commercial operations, these procedures should be specified by the operator..."

my embolding (if thats the right word!).

The only <requirement> that I am aware of is from operators own SOP's (should it be specified), but I am willing to be corrected.

pilot1957,
Are you a FSO? Some suggestions...
For every RA, ask the crew were they aware of other traffic and if so, did they consider reducing their RoC/RoD.
Write a piece in your flight safety magazine to raise awareness.

Flightdetent,
As you may be aware, the UK has several differences to elsewhere.
One of these is that "All ACAS RAs should be reported, regardless of the cause" (CAP382, Mandatory Occurrence Reporting Scheme).