PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Re-visiting the 1999 Hawk 200 Crash
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 21:56
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
PS

The strange "pitch" wobble just prior to the crash never looked quite right to me - was there ever a suggestion of control failure, "pilot error" is always the easiest, but not always the most just verdict.
This is him pulling light buffet to heavy buffet to light buffet to heavy buffet. The poor bloke probably realised his fate after the first pull on the stick. At his second pull he would never had made a successful ejection if he'd tried as his sink rate was too high. Watching from the ground at the time this went in slow motion through my mind as I was pretty sure as he rolled in the vertical that he was not going to make it. Sadly my thinking was correct as it played out in slow motion before my eyes.

It is one day (and evening) that I will remember for the rest of my days. It taught me a lot about people's reactions in the aftermath of a crash and just how hot an aircraft crash fireball is even when you're standing 500-700m away. It also saved my life a couple of years later when a student started doing a loaded roll during fighter affil at about 1,500ft in the low flying system. I can remember yelling 'unload' to this very day as we subsequently dished out at a couple of hundred feet above the ground! The video debrief was interesting...