PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 16:04
Danny42C

Chugalug, (ref your #6125)

More a case of an overactive imagination than a feat of reverse engineering, I must confess !

As I've said many Posts ago, the real solution was to select for pilot training only those candidates who could demonstrate the ability to tell the time and read a fuel gauge. As these are fairly normal accomplishments in everyday life, this should not be too restrictive, I would have thought.

Did anyone "nanny" us in this way in our time ? No !! And it is no answer to say: "It was all right for you, you had four, eight, twenty-four hours, or whatever, fuel aboard when you took off. But poor Bloggs in his Meteor had only 40 minutes (if lucky) when he got the fires going, and perhaps 35 when he had wheels-up".

But, as we all know, it doesn't matter how much you started with, the day will come when only 30 minutes are left, and you're starting to sweat a bit. Doesn't self-preservation click-in ?

Did the USAF worry about this in (say) the T-33 ?.....D.

Fantom Zorbin,

But it worked ! Low first cost (unless BaE was the contractor). Nil maintenance and 100% servicability. What more could you want ?....D.

DFCP,

Post-Hiroshima/Nagasaki, it was total confusion everywhere. We couldn't make sense of it even at the time. No one will ever unravel it now.....D.

Cheers to you all, Danny.