PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AirTanker First Officers
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 08:48
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
3eng, while I understand your desire to get the MPS into service 'warts and all', then try to use it, the danger with that approach is that any subsequent updates will be at the mercy of AD&S, probably slow to come and undoubtedly costly. It might have been better to reject it completely, until features such as those which both D-IFF_Ident and vasco have clearly indicated are necessary, were included?

What really gripped me about ATr was that (at high level), they said both in person and by e-mail that they really wanted to talk. I offered to provide a presentation and to give a demonstration of the system, but that offer and follow up e-mails were ignored - not even the courtesy of an acknowledgement. Which is hardly a good way to do business, so I can only conclude that they were swayed by false promises from Spain? Nevertheless, a 'thanks, but no thanks' would have been polite.

Incidentally, the A310 MCS was never released in an immature state to the end users. The first version was 'towline only', then the trail functionality was included, followed by versions with additional features (such as the ability to relocate either all sub-brackets in an RB or just individual sub-brackets). Any bugs which subsequently came to light were checked and 'workarounds' identified - but they were very minor. It was always a requirement to make the system as independent as possible - the only significant external data requirement being for a source of 'on the day' met.

As I pointed out, with the fuel capacity of modern fast jets and the longer legs of the Voyager, it could well be quite some distance from the 'split point' (I think you call it an 'exit point'?) to the receivers' destination, so I think that it could be rather more than just a 'speed distance time calculation to TOD' for routine planning - particularly if there's a late notice change?

A310 MCS, unlike AARWIN, does account for receiver descent and approach - it also accounts for any receiver en-route climbs from the split point to TOD and/or from take-off to the RV.