PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Part 61 "traps for young players"
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2014, 00:55
tecman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob and Captain, you've both clearly done a bit of thinking about the RPL and perhaps you might be able to shed some light on a discussion which ground to a halt in another thread. How or where does an RPL candidate training in the GA system (as opposed to someone converting from RA) complete a navigation theory module for the lifting of the area restriction? I'm probably missing it but I couldn't see any prescribed test in the Part 61 material, apart from the prescription for the practical cross-country component. For a candidate coming from the RA world, it's clearer in that they need to have passed the relevant RAA exam.

On the subject of training standards, it's true that the biggest problem is the variability of RA training. I'm a long-time GA pilot with an RAA certificate and, while there are some good RA/GA instructors training RA pilots, I see too many pilots who really shouldn't have a licence of any sort. With few exceptions, my recommendation to people wanting an RA licence is to go to one of the many schools doing both RA and GA training. It's not a foolproof prescription but, for the average punter, it at least ensures there's some sort of minimum standard in place.