PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Everybody should be able to pilot an aircraft
Old 2nd Sep 2014, 17:05
riverrock83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats!
I very nearly didn't get going on my first solo - as in - start moving.

The tower is quite far away from the apron we use, so we don't normally stop anywhere near it, so it was the first time I'd ever stopped on the taxi-way in front of the tower for my instructor to jump out.

After he did, I then spent the next 5 minutes (felt like a lot more!) trying to work out why my request to taxi wasn't being answered by the tower...

Now I had seen once before that at a certain hold, if the aircraft was pointing a particular direction the tower couldn't hear me - the aircraft / airport combination that I was in has a few radio blind spots. So in my problem solving I turned on / tuned in COM 2 (which I later found out has a different antennae position) which worked. Judging by the response from the tower - they could hear all my previous calls - I just couldn't hear them!

But after that - all went to plan. Discovered how much quicker even a bulldog climbs without 75kg extra weight holding it down

Great experience - take a photo and send it into Flyer ( FLYER Forums ? View topic - FLYER wants to help celebrate your first solo! ) and bask in the glow