PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AirTanker First Officers
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2014, 11:37
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
vascodegama, with the A310 MCS the postioning of the final RB has now been altered to provide a more logical plan. Another tweak is the 'fail-safe' option which, if a single hose plan is actually possible, will automatically plan the RBs so that there's no real drama if a hose fails to trail, for example. Most of the users create such a plan manually at present, the update automates the process.

Also 'wind of the day' can be entered on the day very quickly indeed, to further refine matters.

Typical senarios for using 'receiver fuel at RVIP' specified by the receivers would be when they arrive back for post-strike refuelling - "We'll be back at the tanker with 2500 kg", for example. Or "We need to leave you with 6000 kg at the Split Point" when off to do some air-to-sand work.

Typical scenarios using receiver provided fuel/dist/time figures for the unaccompanied segments would be if the receiver type / config. isn't in the perf database - or the receiver unit isn't happy to provide a full perf ODM for the type.

I couldn't agree more about the 'tail wagging the dog' description - that sounds like a staff-weasel desperate to avoid a serious contractual non-compliance issue! "Shut up, you don't know the Big Picture, so use some imagineering six-sigma solutionising - and a chinagraph". This time last year, the views about the situation were pretty clear - so why no-one has grasped the nettle and demanded anything better is somewhat beyond me.

A310 MCS works fine, but unlike an AARC, you can't have a beer with it. Although at least it doesn't ding hire cars!

vasco also wrote:
Also am I not right in thinking that the crew cannot drop and drag (or move by any other method) the bracket.
To quote a certain tennis-playing brat: "You canNOT be serious!". What if the system has planned RBs right through the middle of the ITCZ, for example? Presumably it will also cope with route changes and replan the RBs for such events? Won't it??

beardy, it was my understanding that the Thos.Cook 'moist lease' will employ the Voyager in non-military configuration as the airline requires. The crews will also support AirTanker's own air transport activity, whether to the sun-drenched South Atlantic, Cyprus or wherever. But to Part-CAT 'civil' regulations. Hence my term 'civil', which I grant you was probably a bit vague.

Last edited by BEagle; 2nd Sep 2014 at 11:52.