PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thumbs down Menzies
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2014, 09:36
edi_local

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ozziekiwi
I worked for Menzies in BNE in 2008-2009 after coming from a Turn Co-ordinator position with the national carrier in AKL.

The position was part time with split shifts but everyone is told that before being appointed.

I found the training was very good, our main carrier at that time was DJ, with TG, EY, BI, ON. We also took CX away from QF.

We had daily meetings with management at the end of each shift,
which were always very constructive and informative with periodical
1 on 1 meetings with management to assess our progress and to discuss
any issues which either, management or the staff member had.

So hat's off to Menzies, I consider, as an ex staff member they do a good job and have staff morale and staff wellbeing well in their minds.
I too am an ex-Menzies employee. Having worked for them at 2 airports (EDI/LHR) I can say that when I was first with them it was much like you describe. Good training, good relationship between staff and management, always enough people to ensure customers received a good service. The staffing levels were perfect and there was hardly a time where I felt stressed or overworked.

This continued when I made the move to LHR and stayed with them but gradually as people naturally left or got promoted I soon realised no one was filling the gaps. More airlines came to MZ, but barely any new staff joined to meet demand, so the existing ones were simply spread out. Service level agreements went unmet and the staff were so overworked that sickness became much higher. The training steadily became weaker and weaker, people were shoved on to airline products with minimal, sometimes no training at all and left to deal with all sorts of problems. I still know a few people who are with Menzies and morale is still through the floor as next to nothing has been done to tackle these problems. This is not, I understand, unique to MZ at LHR, it seems to be the whole UK. It is a shadow of it's former self and honestly I'm so glad I got out when I did as it's just spiralled down further since I did.

I do hope the new senior management turn it around because it's getting to the stage where the damage being done could be irreversible for them.