PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it time for new mandatory rules for seat pitch and width on all passenger planes?
Old 2nd Sep 2014, 07:50
surely not

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It always surprises me what people think the money they spend on an air ticket is for.

Put simply it is to travel from their place of departure to their point of arrival in a well maintained and safe aircraft. They can expect to have flight deck crew trained to fly the aircraft and cabin crew trained in all the safety aspects of the cabin. They should expect any hold baggage to arrive with them at their destination.

The ticket price does not guarantee 'x' amount of personal space; only 'acceptable' passengers in the seat next to them; room in the overhead lockers for bags that should be in the hold; catering of a standard that is only found in 5 star hotels. Nor is the ticket price based on the weight/height of the passenger.

Ryanair, Southwest, easyJet, etc have introduced ways to recover the revenue they lost by pricing tickets at below the true cost of the ticket for the flight. So they have invented charging for window seats, charging for extra leg room, charging for bags carried in the hold, charging for food pre booked or sold on board, charges for priority boarding etc etc. These add on charges mean the cost of the ticket is probably going to work out the same or more expensive than if you fly on a 'with frills' airline.

Maybe one day they will fly and regulate oxygen supply via the drop down masks which you will have to pay for...................... I hope that is merely an idea from my twisted humour and doesn't become reality!!!