PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Windfarms
Thread: Windfarms
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2014, 02:53
onetrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO, the current styles of design of wind generators and electric car are merely initial, crude designs, that will improve out of sight with more research, improved technology and better materials.

For example, I fail to see how a big propellor is the most effective way of turning a generator. In the same way that jet engines are superior to propeller-turning IC engines, so there must be, and are, wind generator designs that are superior in efficiency, in manufacture, in lower noise levels, and in improved safety levels.

There are substantial numbers of alternative designs of wind generator already on the market and in prototype stage.

Do Alternative Designs for Wind Turbines Work? - Scientific American

The problem is, that the manufacturers of the propellor-style wind generators have ensured that their design is currently prominent, because they have aggressively marketed them, ramped up production of them, built a large database of knowledge about them, and cornered the market - just like Henry Ford did with the Model T, and Sopwith did with the Pup.

No-one in their right mind would consider manufacturing and driving a Model T or manufacturing and flying a Sopwith Pup today - but they were right for their time.

We are better situated to make use of a variety of sources of free energy, rather than totally relying on the huge monopoly that is the oil and gas industry, to provide what is essentially, a single energy source. Besides, nothing would please me more than telling the Arabs to shove their oil. I have already reduced my home electricity bill to less than $150 a year with solar panels.

I don't believe anyone complained too much about grain-grinding or water-pumping windmills in the 17th and 18th century, did they? Or were the anti-windmill "activists" of that era, shouted down and run out of town? Perhaps it was because there were no aviators around, to grumble about windmills, back then?