PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Handtools, convincing mangement to buy high quality tools
Old 2nd Sep 2014, 00:03
SawMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the tools needing to be adequate for the job expected of them. I don't play the 'brand name game' though I have a lot of Snap-on, Mac, and Cornwell tools (which may be a US only brand?) which have served me well. But my larger wrenches are still my first set, made in India by a no-name company that have had 3 foot long pipes slid over them with two large guys jumping on the pipe to break nuts loose and they are still as good a new. (I'm not advocating such abuse, only relating my experience) I've broken brand names with much less severe use and worn out a few as well. What I have now withstands any use I put them to, and cost me about 1/4 of what a similar Snap-on set would have. They are not for sale or loan My Mac long-handled 10mm combo wrench is getting worn so I'll get it replaced. And after 20 years use that ain't bad; nobody could do any better.

Your most-used tools must stand the frequency of service, but your least used tools only need to be good enough. Another aspect is warranty replacement- tools do break sometimes no matter who made them. The Snap-On man will be back next week (and in an emergency you can do a local meet-up with him elsewhere that very day), but if it has to be sent to China to get a replacement shipped back that bears careful thought- you're down for weeks Also, would you rather bend or grind a cheap wrench to fit an odd job or lose that Snap-on warranty by doing that? Either will work just as well for you, but one costs more to replace.

Approach it as I do my personal set- just make sure they are good enough. They may see the light of paying the premium price for some things if you can show where some savings made elsewhere will compensate and still leave you doing fine. And if they don't budge? See my previous post. They will understand unnecessary losses being far more expensive if that starts happening. I'm sure you can find ways to assist in speeding that process along