PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AirTanker First Officers
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2014, 12:34
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
D-IFF_ident, MCS could certainly use Linux, I've been assured.

I've used it with WinXP, WinXP-embedded, Win7.1 and even Win8.1u1 (planning only). No issue.

3engnever, your concerns were raised and addressed years ago before the MCS was signed off.

The pre-flight trail plan is copied to the receivers; if they're not happy with it then it won't be used until they are. Stat Met? You can choose anything from 35-99% NOAA values, still-air or user-defined if preferred. Brg, dist and ETA from present position to an abort aerodrome at current groundspeed (or anywhere else, for that matter) can be checked by putting the cursor over the target and reading off the values. Subtract from current time, multiply by TCR and you can roughly (obviously) check receiver fuel burn needed to overhead the abort aerodrome if you want to cross check - or plot it on a paper chart, measure it and use long multiplication if you're really concerned about 'DAL'.

MCS is not 'mine' to 'sell', incidentally.

D-IFF_ident, yes, I saw that Jeppesen product for the KC-767J at ARSAG. Really basic and not easy to use. When I spoke to the Jepp chap, he told me that I was "...rather more polite about it than the last RAF person who'd seen it". Eh, vascodegama ??