PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Applicable Vs planning Minima
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2014, 06:20
alexious85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Applicable Vs planning Minima

Hello
I would like to clarify the term "applicable" vs "planning" minima as they are used in the context of nominating alternate airports.
Here are the 2 paragraphs from EU-OPS I am trying to compare:
A. "The Commander shall select a Destination / En-route Alternate aerodrome when the appropriate weather reports indicate that during a period commencing one hour before and ending one hour after the estimated time of arrival at the aerodrome the weather conditions will be at or above the applicable minima as follows :
1. The RVR specified in accordance with EU-OPS 1.430.
2. For Non-precision or Circling approach, the ceiling is at or above MDA"

B. "For any IFR flight two destination alternates must be selected when :
1. The appropriate weather reports or forecasts for the destination, or any combination thereof, indicate that during a period commencing 1 hour before and ending 1 hour after the estimated time of arrival, the weather conditions will be below the applicable planning minima.
The planning minima for an En-route or destination alternate are as follows :
Type of approach Planning minima
Cat II / III : Cat I : (note 1)
Cat I : Non-Precision (Note 1, 2)
Non-Precision : Non-Precision (Note 1, 2) plus 200 ft / 1000 m
Circling : Circling"

So just to get it right : case A : if you are going to an airport and the weather seems to be within the minima of whatever procedure is offered then you only need to nominate one airport .
In the second case I am confused as to when you need to nominate 2 alternates .... Can you please explain with some examples ?