PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots suspended after North Sea helicopter lands on wrong platform
Old 31st Aug 2014, 21:13
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by JimL
Well HC, as I remember, that was exactly what it was for:

I understand what you are saying though but had not thought (nor had others) of your unique solution. Would that work by Day?

Jim
That was what it was for initially, but the scope was widened to include preventing helis from landing eg when there was a gas leak. As a result of trying to make the scope cover all eventualities, the result was that nothing happened.

However I will have to concede your point about the green circle not working in broad daylight, that is probably the case. But surely a bright omnidirectional light visible in daylight, or other clear visual indicator visible on short finals, is not that difficult to achieve? That it hasn't been achieved strongly suggests that, amongst other things, it is actually not that important.

It would be interesting to analyse all wrong deck landings, but I suspect that nearly all will have occurred following a visual approach. The increased levels of checks occuring during an ARA makes a wrong deck landing from an instrument approach seem very unlikely. With that in mind, a lot of the complexity of the CAA paper can be dispensed with. Just day and night. No need to be able to see it at 900m in a vis of 1400m etc, just before committal point in VMC would be fine. Too much gold plating!