PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 31st Aug 2014, 20:25
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahh Coff,

I tried all that, but as you well know, pressure differential is everything as the cabin altitude increases funny your bodge tape is a grab from Farnell, a few years after leaving the mob, I actually worked for them. What a curious coincidence. I will say that my worst experience with the elsan was an El Centro detachment. Having arrived "in theatre" with a task of simple lifts of the Falcs, Pathfinders and the odd Air troop boys, it was decided to empty and clean the "bucket" (inner), remove it, and to recharge it only for the trip home. On around day 3, the crew were complaining of the foul smell of the aircraft, on investigatin we found that the "troops" were using the elsan "as normal"

Cleaning it out was not pleasant, and of course, the job fell to myself and my fellow GE. No names, no pack drill, but the Loadie knew that the elsan was a "no go", we also put a sign up to that effect and, no doubt, he could have stopped the faux pas. I'm sure AA62 might have thoughts on what we saw as a failure. I never agreed to operate "sans inner" on any det after that, SF or anyone who wanted the inner removed had to sign a chit agreeing to clean any resultant mess up.

Smudge

OK, a question for the more senior operators. I did a tour at Akrotiri 73-75. At the time 70 were the resident transport squadron with a mix of Alberts and Whistling tits. How did that work for the aircrew ? Were they only qualified on one type, or could they operate both ? I only ask because I would bet that the 70 Sqdn ground crew were ambidextrous at that time. Someone must know.

Smudge