PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 31st Aug 2014, 19:48
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh dear, the "Racasan Dan" rears its head. My last trip as a Ground Eng. Was the return from Dahran, having done the two day ground stay at Dharhan towers. They had banned us from eating in the US feeder on base, the British feeder had been shut due to the high levels of food poisoning, and we were all to eat in the Intercon ? Hotel, the one favoured by media crews during the conflict. Well us mere SNCOs ate with the rest of the non comms, in the downstairs restaurant, where we saw the waiting staff, sweating mightily bringing leftovers downstairs from the "Royals" dining room above, mostly in to the food. Suffice to say, I left Dahran in some considerable dis ease, and unable to enjoy the hammock as I had no way of leaving the elsan. Transitting through Akrotiri, in great pain, we eventually landed at the Home of the Hercules where I reported to sick quarters. The sample, duly tested confirmed full blown salmonella poisoning. I felt like crap, and my boss wanted to know why I wasn't ready for a return trip.

As a Ground eng, the Elsan and I had a love hate relationship. I loved it when no one used it, and we had no need to empty it. I loved it when Dehli belly struck. I hated the bloody thing when 80 pax all decided to use it on a transit from LYE to GUtersloh there are some stories out there though, the lady Loadie given a kick on the rudder by the Co, shooting from the curtains in a state of undress, with a load of Paras all watching I doubt a true narrative of Albert in the RAF can be complete without mention of "Racasan Dan".

Smudge