PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old 1950s Jet Pilot Anecdote
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2014, 18:11
Danny42C

Fonsini,

Had only a few hours on the Meteor in '50 and '54, and remember the controls as being a bit "wooly" in feel, but even though it had no power assistance I don't remember them as being particularly heavy (except as in comparison with, say, a Spitfire or Harvard).

As for his arms being tired, I would say that it would be far more likely to be his legs - for you have to use your legs a lot in a slow or hesitation roll: the idea of doing one of these in a Meteor near the ground - or anywhere below oxygen level for that matter - makes my blood run cold. I suppose, if he were going very fast (which would be a Good Idea anyway for what he was doing), rudder and stick might stiffen up a bit. We really need a proper Meteor driver - should be plenty around on * this Thread - to come in on this.

Max time inverted was said to be 15 seconds: most folk counted 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 15 ! (after all, you have your wife and pension to consider).

In late '51, I took over (as a Unit Adj) from a chap who (said he) had been the Aerobatic Champion of Fighter Command. Wish I could remember the name. But my young Nephew admired his physique ("Charles Atlas!", he said). Could it be ?

Your "French" is no problem in this * "Crewroom in Cyberspace" - read a few of * our stories ! Now your "elderly gentleman with the handlebars" is by no means necessarily "long gone", as you say. (How old am I ?)

"Don't Assume - Check !" If he's still around, is he by any chance "on line" ? Point him in * our direction, and cajole him into coming aboard.

Cheers, Danny42C.

Note * = "Gaining an RAF Pilots Brevet in WWII" Thread.