PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2014, 15:00
CCR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jamie2k9, I have always found you a good poster on aviation in Ireland but perhaps are you a little partial on Cork airport remaining within the Dublin Aviation Authority?

As someone who travels to Cork quite often, possibly as much as 50% of the flights I take are to Dublin airport. I can tell you that upwards of 90% of the passengers on the Aircoach and Gobe hourly buses I`ve been on are traveling to/from Dublin airport.
If I am just traveling between the cities, I much prefer the train.

Dublin airport is the major competitor to Cork, Belfast, Shannon and Waterford airports thanks to the fine motorway system which are all connected to Dublin.
There is a conflict of interest by the Dublin Airport authority managing Cork airport. Cork needs a similar deal that Shannon achieved a couple of years ago and become independent.
Dublin airport is booming once again and all the major airports in Ireland are growing with the exception of Cork. All the more ironic really, since outside of Dublin, Cork has the only major population centre in the Republic.

Since we are at the end of August, I`m surprised nobody has mentioned that EMC are vacating their hangar at Cork airport this month after moving in there in the 1990`s. A further blow to Cork airport and a serious loss of revenue.
The frustration of dealing with the Dublin Airport Authority at Cork airport has been mentioned as a factor in this decision.
Major change is needed at Cork airport and an independent Cork Aviation Authority should be leading that change.