PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 31st Aug 2014, 08:04
ancientaviator62

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Another view of the JATFOR stream taxiing.

Went to the Shoreham Airshow yesterday, and after an iffy start the WX improved s the day went on. Seeing the Falcons jumping (from a Cessna Caravan) reminded me of a funny story from the days when I was the ALM on the Hercules display crew.
We took the Falcons to some airshow (memory ?) and they were due to jump from the ramp. So we duly get the a/c set up, do the sighting run and commence the run in for the live drop. One of the PJIs tells me he needs a crap ASAP. He has already removed his parachute and is struggling with his jump suit.
For those not familiar with the Hercules sanitary arrangements I will explain.
We had four urinals and an Elsan chemical toilet. This was normally stowed out of the way on the port sidewall aft of the para door locked in the up position by a very dodgy spring loaded pin. For all airdrop sorties this was reinforced by nylon ties. The modesty curtain was also removed to stop it thrashing itself to death in the turbulent air.
Out came my survival knife , I cut the ties and lowered the Elsan. At the same time I called 'dummy run' and explained why. Much hilarity from the sharp end.
Of course there is much mirth down the back as the poor chap performed his bodily function. Eventually much relieved he puts all his kit back on we ran in again and dropped.
Sorry no pics !