PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Day Britain Stopped
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2003, 03:04
Lucifer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be honest I thought it was actually quite good. That is up until the point when everyone was stuck in their cars on the M25, and the whole docu-drama theme was lost to sensationalism.

Quite frankly if they had stuck to a slightly more scientific-type of programme, and explained the lead-up to the crash with a bit more realism then it could be deemed to be far better...the point of it I am sure we can all see was simply that the transport network clogs up too easily and prevents safety-critical staff from getting to work, but as far as I can see the method of creating the crash from the plot was more akin to sensationaliam and drama than effective research.

Ignore the inconsistencies - the public don't care if a 757 changed to a 319, nor that the Bilbao flight doesn't go North - that simply discredits their research in our eyes.

What was annoying were the main facts of modern travel that were omitted to scare the unknowing public above all that:

TCAS WAS NOT MENTIONED - which as we all know is not failsafe as we have seen from the Swiss crash, but whose omission does nothing to reassure the public about safety.

If the main focus had stayed on the safety concerns of the breaking public transport network, which was NOT wholly unrealistic a scenario, it would have been fine, but the end popped up with those statements about NATS studies, aviation safety and 'black box thinking' towards aviation safety which is a wholly wrong portrayal of UK aviation in my opinion.

As such it ended on a note of "aviaition could be dangerous to your health" - far beyond the original and more important message that OUR TRANSPORT NETWORK IS CRAP.

Why the wholly rubbish diversion about the NATS staff being prosecuted without it seems due process was even in the plot, god knows?

Perhaps they were trying to scare us all into never making a human error or something perverse like that?