PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots suspended after North Sea helicopter lands on wrong platform
Old 30th Aug 2014, 20:42
Offshore Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont know what Diginagain is on about regarding Aldis lamps. Been occupying Radio Rooms for a good few years now and never heard of them being allocated for helideck use. Just asked our HLO who muttered something about it not being 1944 and wandered out. I was recently on a new build and they did have "wave off" lights that could be triggered manually for whatever reason, they also activate automatically whenever a platform alarm kicks in. Never seen an Aldis lamp on my travels though.

People make errors, it happens. I have pulled my fair share of facepalm moments out here. Even saw a Phantom land at the wrong airfield before, both runways orientated 09/27 and just a few miles apart. These days crews and engineers at offshore helicopter companies must feel like they operate under a huge magnifying glass, it cant be easy. Personally, as long as the crew get me back to Aberdeen on the day I go off I am happy. If they want to take me somewhere else for a bit and cut my time at work I am all for it. Tenerife would be nice.

I'll bet the crew were annoyed though, missing out on all that food I bet they ordered ..