PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hsbc? Barclays? Lloyd?
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2003, 01:57
P T Flea

In my experience (currently borrowing to go ahead with integrated ab-initio course) HSBC have been superb.

They are very good in the respect that will let you borrow such large amounts (with security) under the Pro studies and post graduate scheme. This means that you are subjected to an extremely reasonable interest rate (currently 2 above base), although it is a variable base rate. You are also not commited to a pre-defined repayment period so you can pay it back quicker than previously planned if you want (and there is no fee for breaking this arrangement). You also do not have to start repayments until six months after the course finishes. This, under normal employment circumstances, should give you enough time to find a job.

Of you course if you wanted to take this loan up you would have to transfer your bank account to HSBC.

Hope this helps.

Incidentally I applied for a CDL (from Royal Bank of Scotland) in addition to the HSBC loan but it was rejected. It all turned out alright in the end though as I am going to borrow the extra from the banks and a little more from my parents.

Unfortunately it seems if you are a young wannabe who wants to go self-sponsored than you have to have supportive parents otherwise you are onto a non-starter. It seems tough but that's the way it is. I am extremely lucky with the parents that I have and will be forever in their debt for the support that they currently giving me.

PT