PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PRESTWICK
Thread: PRESTWICK
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2014, 15:00
Facelookbovvered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftershock or is it wind sock?

Don't be daft no one 'enjoys' for a minute the thought that people will lose their jobs were PIK to close anymore than the did with the Rootes motor business Bathgate? or the pits or the tank factory, but that doesn't justify sticking your head in the sand to the economic reality of running a business, for that is what PIK is, the fact that it is owned by the UK Government is neither here nor there.

I don't want this to drift in to a political forum, but the ownership of this airport just weeks away from the biggest political decision ever in Scotland inextricably links the future of both PIK & Scotland together, let me be clear I started off of the view that 'the better together campaign' was the right course for Scotland's future but over the past 6 weeks I have done a 180 and very much take the opposite view now and hope that Scotland does indeed gain independence on the 18th of next month.

How that will pad out for PIK I'm not certain, the UK has ruled out any currency union with Scotland, that maybe bluff i don't know, but if Scotland chooses to unilaterally use the pound and default (Salmonds words not mine) on its share of the national debt, then it follows that it can't expect to keep the assets acquired by that debt? Of course many assets are fixed and can't be removed, but anything that floats, fly's or drives can!!

Whilst i'm sure that PIK will continue to have a future demand from overseas military transports and heavy lift cargo it will certainly not have the custom from the rUK armed forces

Perhaps as an independent country Scotland may designate PIK as it primary military airport, either way it will be in the melting pot of rUK assets i.e. owned by the rUK Government and they most certainly will not want to own a private airfield in what will be then a Foreign country.

So i think its best to see what happens in 3 weeks time and hope that Scotland votes yes for independence, who knows it might become the Alex Salmond International airport (ASI) and that would put it on the world map