PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wanted - Pilots to attend Emergency Training for Air Traffic Controllers at Swanwick
Old 30th Aug 2014, 05:42
The Many Tentacles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm assuming Una doesn't work for NATS as we do get the option to go along to the LOFT sessions that airlines run. I've done two myself, one with Easyjet and one with Thomas Cook.

Both have been very informative although I understand that these LOFT sessions generally run over two days and I've been lucky enough each time to see the days with the emergencies thrown in each time. The en-route controller who had been there the day before had spent a lot of time messing around with contaminated runways, which may not have been so useful for them. I appreciate it's a sim and obviously isn't quite like real life, but it was eye opening to see the amount of work that goes on in the cockpit.

I'd encourage anyone who has the option to do one of these days to take it up. If you are a NATS controller it can count towards one of your three extra days and goes towards your CPD total for the year.

To echo what others have said, pilot input during TRUCE is certainly some of the most useful training time we have - anything that fosters a greater understanding between pilots and controllers is a good thing.