PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Windfarms
Thread: Windfarms
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2014, 05:23
Stikybeke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windfarms

Today whilst driving down to Canberra just south of Goulburn the Hume Hwy forks to go via Lake George or Yass. I took the Lake George route and shortly after turning onto this road noted a number of Wind Turbines off to the West in the Yass direction. Now I've been on this road a few times and haven't seen these before. As I continued down to Lake George I couldn't help myself and found that I was looking at the 80 odd Wind Turbines that have been on the Eastern side of the lake for sometime now.

I recall whilst doing my UPPL test back in the day out of Canberra having to turn and to undertake some scud running due WX much to the annoyance of the Tiz who was then an examiner of airmen (and also failed me on that occasion not because of that but due to lack of airmanship or swearing at him because he made me go to Mills Cross or something.....all good though as I later got through..). It dawned on me that this scud running would have taken me right into the path of these things.

Thankfully they don't put these things anywhere near airfields (or do they?) as who knows what effect the turbulence (I'd imagine) would have as generated when they are in full flight.....Mind you though maybe they don't generate any turbulence but somehow after reflecting on this for a while I 'd reckon they would.

So I was just wondering has anyone else has had any experience with or got an opinion regarding these windfarms? I guess the meat missiles would and I know I'm probably opening pandora's box here but as the saying goes, "unless you ask... ?"

Stiky