PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - End of an era
Thread: End of an era
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2014, 21:38
Hangarshuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I served on her.

In the post Falklands War period. Cold War full on. Joined in Portsmouth then straight into Autumn Train (think that was it) followed by her first major refit in Portsmouth, then BOST at Portland. States trip (Philadelphia and Norfolk), a massive cold war exercise ending up in the Arctic, some decent runs around Europe. Then another mini refit, Global trip cut down by the famous gearbox explosion and fire, then repair (amazing tribute to Pompey dockies, stokers and British ship repair), Far East, Auz and home for leave and draft. 30 months and the happiest time of my very young life.
A different time or age and a different world with a different Navy, really.
A small, dedicated professional team. Suppose a lot are dead now, or old and faded.
Wonder what the top speed was of the ship? I always thought it an incredibly fast vessel.
But she is now of the past and its time, as ever, to keep moving on.

Dits wise (some people on here saw this also, or were involved and can explain better than me), I saw (or heard over broadcast of course) SHAR FRS1 crash up in Scotland, an 849 NAS SK ditch (lack of fuel) in the Atlantic, witnessed the stbd oleo collapse on a recovering 820 NAS Sea King (mid Atlantic in the middle of the night on 1 spot) which damn nearly could have decapitated me, but didn't, thanks to the reaction + skill of the young pilot - all was well in the end (RIP that great young guy), and also another SHAR launch off the ramp and snap its stbd outrigger clean off as it hit the net.
All fantastic stuff for a young lad to see, or be involved with, back in the mid 1980's.

Last edited by Hangarshuffle; 29th Aug 2014 at 22:03.