PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS 1354 NTSB Investigation - CVR
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2014, 18:16
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers.

Another thing that's bothered me about some responses is the snarky-sounding references to political correctness. Desert185's post #174 gives the distinct impression of a belief that if the F/O had been a guy the accident may not have happened. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what aterpster is trying to say about NTSB hiring practices.

Look - the reason large organisations have developed affirmative action processes when it comes to hiring is because it was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that, left to their own devices, managers of a certain gender and ethnic background were predisposed to hiring candidates of that same gender and ethnic background. Suitability for a job primarily hinges on two things - qualification and experience. Therefore it follows that if managers are predisposed to hiring employees of their own gender and ethnicity, then the end result would be a paucity of experience in candidates of other genders and ethnicities, regardless of qualifications. *That* is why these practices were put in place - to redress the balance in experience.

@barit1: I don't doubt that you're correct in some of what you're saying, but as I understand it, the apparently "sheared" engine mounting bolt was recovered from the runway, not from the hangar. As such, it was unlikely to have come form a Cessna or similar aircraft.