PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots suspended after North Sea helicopter lands on wrong platform
Old 29th Aug 2014, 07:21
Phone Wind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If Bond has a Just Culture, they should also have trained event investigators to determine the actual cause of the landing on the wrong deck. Many companies now use the Flowchart Analysis of Investigation Results (FAIR) system to aid them to make a correct decision. In this case it seems that the crew carried out their intended action (landing on a rig offshore) but the consequences of their action were unintended (they landed on a rig which was not the one planned). If they didn't deliberately break the rules but didn't select the correct actions they would be deemed to have made a mistake. Under the FAIR system an Event Review Group including at least 3 of the pilots peers who should e of the same rank and similar experience levels. Any decision to take disciplinary action should take account of whether this will make any contribution to safety learning and improvement, or just discourage others from reporting errors. The trouble is that so many oil companies these days talk about having a just culture themselves, but want to see the crew disciplined for any mistakes they make. The helicopter operators are then deliberately pressured into treating the crew unfairly. It was just such a situation that caused Bristow to cave in to pressure some years ago, but the sacrificial lamb in that case was the Head of Flight Operations
I made a genuine mistake a few years back, was suspended until the reason was investigated, was called in for an interview with my operations manager who decided that the blame lay equally with the company and myself and after flying a revenue line check flight, I resumed normal flying duties.
As many have said, this has happened before and it will happen again and I'm still amazed with all the new advancements in technology, there is nothing in the cockpit to enable the crew to instantly see on which rig/platform/ship they are landing. He1aviator pointed out that most ships are fitted with an AIS. If OGP mandated that all offshore installations or vessels working in the offshore oil and gas industry were fitted with AIS, it surely be possible to integrate this into the aircraft avionics somehow?