PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multicom vs area frequency
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2014, 00:54
kaz3g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just spent six days flying in the area between Bankstown - Port Pirie - Ayers Rock - Bankstown in the C208. Most flying was at levels between 5500 and 9500. I strictly monitored the "area " frequency spending some of the time looking down at the charts to work out the correct frequency rather than looking out for other aircraft. Not once did I hear a VFR aircraft call when climbing above 5000'. I monitored hundreds of calls - not one rellevent to my flight .

On three occasions I heard the centre call VFR aircraft at identified locations-no doubt to give the pilots traffic info on nearby aircraft . At no stage did a VFR aircraft reply to the ATC call.
I'm just back from a similar trip except originating at Shepparton. Monitoring the correct FIA frequencies was easy because I use Ozrunways and all it takes is a regular glance at the screen to check.

Perhaps those aircraft above 5000 filed their plans and made their calls in another FIA? Perhaps they were below 5000 and in proximity of an airfield with a CTAF? Or perhaps, like JR said, they just aren't listening?

Buggered if I know what conclusion should be drawn from your anecdote, but the legal requirement is pretty clear. In my view, the safety comes more from listening than making unnecessary calls in remote areas.

The only traffic I actually physically saw while in the air on my whole trip were RPT jets at AYE and BAS, helicopters at AYE, and a mate arriving at BHI in an RFDS Kingair at the same time as I joined the circuit (he waited for me, too). The absence of other light GA aerial activity was starkly apparent. The only collective activity I saw while on the ground was a group of 5 avid aviators in RAA aircraft at Curtin Springs who had arrived from the Whitsundays via Cape Leveque and were on their way home via the French Line across the Simpson.

We are having an open day and fly-in at Shepparton Aerodrome in conjunction with the Heritage weekend organised by "Emerald Bank" on 7 September. The Victorian Minister for Aviation, Gordon Rich-Phillips will be attending and all visitors are welcome. The Unicom is 118.8 and the FIA is 122.4.

Kaz