PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multicom vs area frequency
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2014, 00:27
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can somebody please show me where you need to say anything at all flying at a "paddock" ALA?
*sigh*

That’s why the definition of “aerodrome” is so important. The broadcast obligations apply when you are in the vicinity of and operating to and from an “aerodrome”.

That’s why I was hoping you’d walk us through the evolution (demolition?) of the mid-eighties system to where Australia is now.

We started by noting that back in the mid-eighties broadcasts for operations to and from Farmer Brown’s paddock and from licensed aerodromes were on the same frequency: the equivalent of what is now the area frequency. Then the old licensed aerodromes became MBZs and CTAFs and CTAF(Rs) and non-towered and unlicensed and unregistered, and they had frequencies marked on the Chart and in ERSA, there was confusion about the difference between procedures and airspace classifications, blah, blah, blah. But through it all, Farmer Brown’s paddock didn’t rate a mention.

Is Farmer Brown’s paddock an aerodrome? My (perhaps confused) assumption is that it is an aerodrome, but only during the period in which it is being used for the take off and landing of an aircraft. At other times it's used to amuse sheep. During the periods in which it is being used for the take off and landing of aircraft, it’s in the interests of safety for people to know that the place is being used for the take off and landing of aircraft. And, if Farmer Brown’s paddock isn’t marked on the charts, the only sensible frequency on which to broadcast what’s happening is – dare I say: remains – the frequency you used in the mid-eighties.

The voice of sweet reason:
If 126.7 is used for airfields that are not marked on published ASA charts, those flying in and out of them VFR will NOT be listening to area and will not be contactable by either Centre or all those other VFR pilots in the vicinity who have no idea of the airfield's presence. This would be dangerous and much more likely tp result in a tragedy.

The alternative is for ASA to require all such airfields to be notified and incorporated in the charts. Not terribly practical as is evident when you fly VFR across remote Australia.

And BTW Trent, any word on the nomination of a hive of aviation activity that isn’t marked on any aeronautical chart? Any meltdowns yet?

Edited to add: Then why not just turn the radio off and listen to music Dick? No one else complies with the rules, apparently.