PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multicom vs area frequency
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2014, 23:32
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
I just spent six days flying in the area between Bankstown - Port Pirie - Ayers Rock - Bankstown in the C208. Most flying was at levels between 5500 and 9500. I strictly monitored the "area " frequency spending some of the time looking down at the charts to work out the correct frequency rather than looking out for other aircraft. Not once did I hear a VFR aircraft call when climbing above 5000'. I monitored hundreds of calls - not one rellevent to my flight .

On three occasions I heard the centre call VFR aircraft at identified locations-no doubt to give the pilots traffic info on nearby aircraft . At no stage did a VFR aircraft reply to the ATC call.

The current system is a sham. Either go back to the pre-AMATS system and reintroduce FS or move forward the the proven North American NAS system as decided by Federal Cabinet.

Giving non directed calls calls from VFR aircraft on frequencies used by ATC for separation purposes is clearly a safety problem. That's no doubt why most pilots do not comply.