PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Day Britain Stopped
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2003, 21:31
david viewing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a bit surprised that no-one has raised the programmes' other main theme, the closure of motorways by accidents.

Since most of us drive to the airport, and the received wisdom is that this is much more dangerous than actually flying, surely we should be more concerned with the depicted and real life policy of Police in closing motorways "while gathering evidence" or something.

During these closures, numerous other accidents are likely with the probability of further injuries or fatalities. It seems to me that motorway closures are becoming a standard reaction these days and the M1 at Northampton is a case in point. There has even been a question in the Commons about a closure caused by a fire in a shed some distance from the motorway.

I think that the authorities should adopt a much more robust attitude to keeping motorways open at all costs, perhaps retaining a fleet of high speed bulldozers specifically to shovel the wreckage into the nearest field for the owners to collect later.

Little to do with aviation I know, but a much more true to life issue than the improbable go-around incident depicted in the programme!