PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you laugh or cry ?
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2014, 13:56
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Geez, its get worse, now I am being censored.

After contacting the Science Museum management in which I stated that an aerotow from Wroughtons's runway is perfectly feasible (it is, its 4000 feet long, 150 wide, with a slight slope and no obstacles at either end, I have done 100s of aerotows out of much shorter strips with Chipmunks, including heavy metal Russian gliders at the World Championships at S Cerney, ) but is not allowed by the site manager (because it would be a hazard to the artefacts stored in blast resistant hangars !!) they have asked me and Pete not to publicise the fact because "I don't have the full picture of the site complex". I do have all the operational facts I could possibly need to conduct a perfectly safe aerotow. I've flown jets out of shorter runways !

I suggested in conversation with Pete Stratten at the BGA that he spreads the word that whilst aerotowing from Wroughton is perfectly feasible from a technical point of view, it is not permitted so perhaps is best avoided if an aerotow is hoped for. That knowledge might just save someone from an awful lot of hassle.

Spread the word, guys.