PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Empire Strikes Back! on Colour Defective Pilots
Old 28th Aug 2014, 11:24
Arthur Pape

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
I am compelled to clarify something that keeps on popping up in the various commentaries over recent months, and its source is the PMO, whose logic is questionable. The numbers he has given don't add up. The fact is about 10% of males and 1% of females have CVD. Secondly, if we accept that there are some 36000 licenced pilots, and we make a crude estimate that at least half will be males (the actual ratio is likely to be much higher for males to females), then 10% of 18000 is 1800. 1% of the 18000 females is 180. So the combined figure for a conservative estimate of the total pilot population that has a colour vision defect is around 1980, not "400" as quoted originally by the PMO. I have heard him try to explain the numbers of "400 CVD pilots in total, with 140 CVD commercial pilots" and it gives me a headache trying to fathom his logic. I doubt he really knows the real stats, but I am certain that his figures are wrong. It no doubt serves the PMO's objectives to understate the numbers of pilots victimised by his actions.
AP