PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2014, 10:22
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Danny:-
(btw, they seemed to be very low to be over a city - ANOs and all that - were you doing LL circuits ?
Without a registration, date, TOD, and corroborative witnesses, you can't pin that rap on me, you hear?

Seriously, I don't remember anything other than some half dozen of us F/Os taking turns to climb into the RHS seat, bash a circuit or two and then climb out for the next man. I can't even remember what livery the aircraft was in but as it wasn't bearing its later Dan Air reg I suspect it was white hulled, having been de-liveried from its very fluorescent Court Line colours. The Court Line 518s featured a leading edge with a concave under surface which no doubt gave the desired increased field performance when new. As they became gradually modified by being struck by various baggage trucks, steps, and other sundry vehicles, they didn't...The ex BCal 509s had a conventional leading edge that such wear and tear had less effect on.

I once wrote to BAC (Bae) asking for a 1-11 Training Manual, stating that I flew the series 207, 301, 401, 414, 416, 509, 515, 517, 518, 525, and 531. I hadn't mentioned my employer but the nice man at BAC was not to be fooled. "You're with Dan-Air, aren't you?" he said over the phone as he confirmed the book was already in the post to me.