PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi first or MECIR?
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2014, 22:22
Flying Bear

Received 44 Likes on 5 Posts
G'Day Aussie Bob - my intention was not to disrespect VFR pilots, certainly I have advocated on other forums that VFR done right is no less safe than IFR. I have a good friend (who was a mentor to me in my earlier career) who has never held an IR and he certainly has had a long and successful flying career. My company operates VFR for the majority of its work, however all the M/E pilots are IFR qualified and current - the idea being that the use of that rating is a "tool in the toolbox" for when it is required. The majority of days in the north of this continent do not require an IFR flight plan...

Upon re-read of my post, I can see how it may appear "extreme"... Not my intent, however the other Bear (Square Bear) more accurately sums up my thoughts on the matter - if you can, you should... There is no better insurance than training and "upskilling", especially when one lacks in experience. A hallmark of the commensurately professional VFR pilot is the refined judgement to know what can (and cannot) be worked with. Although the same is true of an IFR pilot (the MECIR does not make one invincible!), the additional skill set offered by dedicated / comprehensive instrument flight training will go some way to mitigating the lack of judgement that is a weakness often found in the low time pilot - which is the context of this thread.