PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots working in Canada
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2014, 18:51
Ramjet555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congratulations on looking at all the possibilities.

First, 25 years ago, I was in a similar but more experienced position and have been stuck in Canada ever since. While Canada has it's adventure and experience, as an Australian, talking to another Australian, Canada is a corrupt country and has no legal rights for males. As long as you remain single and have no plans to have children in Canada its a good place to visit and or gain experience.

Second, don't bother doing any more training in Australia. Just get here and do the conversion which is very simple.

The cost of training is much lower, and in IFR, you can get a far superior level of training here than in Aus who have conceited IFR ideas.

Fly in real icing, real minimums and you will have adventure and experience you will never ever see in the tropics.

An instructor rating for example will cost you 50% of the Australian cost, and you can then later convert it to an Australian and eliminate a great deal of cost. Forget doing an Australian first and converting.

Jobs, you will have to first sort out your immigration status and that is a relatively easy task despite the negative crap you will read here and on AvCanada which is all anti-foreigner ... and make sure you remember, that you will encounter a lot of ill-will being a "foreigner" taking away jobs from Canadians etc.

Dont expect to learn it all before you get here and have it all sorted out.

I'd suggest you take a look at TWO places only in Canada. Harv's Air in Manitoba and Cornwall Aviation in Ontario.

Good luck and remember, keep Canada to a long visit. Don't ever plan on living in this corrupt country on a long term basis. I'm looking forward to tearing up my Canadian passport.