PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots suspended after North Sea helicopter lands on wrong platform
Old 27th Aug 2014, 09:28
Brutal

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
It would be nice if we could wait for the conclusion of the investigation rather than hanging these guys out to dry without knowing the facts first?
and no, I don't work for Bond, but I am a professional doing the same job, and although I have never had the misfortune of landing on the wrong rig,I have nearly done that...Line training newbie, ****e weather, no name visible on deck due to some guano,coupled with mist, no name on side, other platform(nui) so close, looks the same and just beyond first target, last minute change by client to go to first nui then to second(when bus stopping was allowed) struggling co-jo...short finals, deck clearance given (by other rig HLO) not being able to see us etc...bang, very short finals, *ollocks, going around...
No doubt there would be some on here that would be calling for my head not knowing the circumstances, facts or how difficult it can be line training, etc. Now I don't know the facts of this case, I am not saying the weather was crap or they were training etc we don't know the reasons yet so give the guys a break.
I count myself as a good aviator, conciencious and professional and never take any risks, BUT, for those calling for their heads, we ALL are capable of mistakes, just think carefully back in your careers when you did something wrong and "just " got away with it!!!!!