PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 27th Aug 2014, 00:49
Jibriltz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not modular vs integrated but modular vs modular

Ok, I am treading carefully with the old debates and I'll make this fast:

Nearly got PPL, I want to be in Spain preferably.
There are two schools I found: GAir Madrid (formerly Gestair) and FTE Jerez.

If you haven't heard of Gestair, I don't blame you. However their modular course is around the £30k mark (inc. ATPL theory, CPL, IR, Multi-Crew, Multi Engine). Not bad for the 9th best in Europe and 4th in Spain.

Jerez you may well have heard of. Huge campus and bill to match. I can't quite work out the modular price, they seem to like hiding individual course prices (God forbid someone get a calculator and ask where all that extra money for integrated courses goes...). But they do feed airlines, have that crucial connection to them and they seem to have a good careers service.

1.) Could I get a bunch of qualifications from Gestair (maybe my ATPL theory) and then do some at Jerez? And if so, would I still get that sparkle on my CV (so to speak) of having studied at Jerez, or does that only come with their integrated course?

2.) Is the type-rating that much of a holy Grail for airlines to employ you? Once I have my PPL, ATPL theory, Multi-Crew, Multi-Engine, CPL, Instrument Rating, night rating, around 200 or so hours and that darned type rating - is it interview city from then on?

I would appreciate any advice or commiserations from anyone else suffering with a similar dilemma. Not integrated vs modular but which path to go with a modular.