PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots suspended after North Sea helicopter lands on wrong platform
Old 26th Aug 2014, 22:24
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by parabellum
En-route change? too easy. Try it at 200' in a B747 overshooting from JFK in a snowstorm and heading off to a place you have never even seen before!
(and dealing with US ATC and 400 pax at the same time).

You seem to have a bit of a hang up over fixed-wing flying? Jealous maybe?

And before you ask, yes back in the sixties I flew the WS55-III to rigs with no working nav aids at all!
(Just to add, landing on the wrong rig or platform in those days would simply cost a lot of beer, no inquiry).

Helicopters have to divert too. No big deal. But imagine being within 10 mins or so of your destination only to be told that the pax would quite like to land at a different destination also about 10 mins away, and then another, and then another, each within 5 mins flying time.

If I were jealous of FW flying I would have taken it up, well presuming you don't mean the real fw flying aka gliding that I do? No, my point was that in heli-world we put with difficulties that other branches of aviation wouldn't accept.

No working navaids? But surely you had the ball of string to wind back in again to find "home"?