PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unknown orange/red glow over Pacific Ocean
Old 26th Aug 2014, 18:54
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All in all I reckon the aurora images look like the real thing, still no idea about the red lights/glow other than a guess that it's down to fishing of some sort???
Don't think those streaks are auroral, they look to me like sensor noise brought out by post processing. I sometimes do star shots with RAW files on a D800 as well and when you play with the sliders and curves to bring out low contrast features like the Milky Way you get similar artifacts.

Like others, I'm more than a little skeptical that you can do a 30 second exposure from a plane on a NOPAC route and still get sharp star images, even with a 10.5 mm lens. And, if the exposure was actually 1/30th of a second instead through an EXIF data typo, I don't think you would see the Andromeda Galaxy even with the great sensor on the D800 (M31 is high in the center of the first picture in the gallery linked in the first post on this thread).

The Dutchman's other picture galleries are very nice and the site seems to be legit. I've seen some odd things over the years on that route including staging rockets, noctilucent clouds and satellite glints. And, we've all seen those surprisingly bright fishing fleet lights glowing under a cloud layer.

Still, not sure what the red glow would be.