PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Truss: Aviation Safety Regulation Review
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2014, 09:31
dubbleyew eight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell us more about the Canadian maintenance self doing deal. Is it for fully certified aircraft or is it just for Ultralights and experimental!?
sorry Dick I missed your question.

if you google "canadian owner maintenance regulations" you will find many references.
the amending act is itself quite a tidy document but I can't find it.

In canada there are areas so remote that people are able to fly aircraft in the backwoods for the entire lifetime of the aircraft without anyone being the wiser.
these are usually illegally owner maintained.
Transport Canada realised at one time that they actually had enough statistical information to work out whether the owner maintenance ever actually caused a problem. as a result of their study they found that owner maintained aircraft crashed no more often than those in certified maintenance. so they changed the canadian regulations to create an amateur maintenance category.
a canadian private owner can apply to have any privately owned aircraft placed in the amateur maintenance category.
in addition, since private aircraft have such wide variation in usage and hours they created a provision to allow a certified private aircraft to be decertified and maintained on a stand alone basis. the owner applies to the minister for aviation for decertification. the minister approves and instructs the owner to locate every serial number plate on the aircraft and stamp the letter X at each end of the serial number. the aircraft is then maintained by the owner under the owner maintenance category.
Canada also wrote a whole bundle of regulations requiring owners to be trained and approved. however Transport Canada told all the owners that while the accident rate remained where it was or got no worse the training requirements would not be implemented.

Of course the FAA in america will not recognise Canadian owner maintained aircraft so none of these are permitted to fly over the border to oshkosh.
When I found that the EAA would not support canadian owner maintenance I cancelled my membership.

White South Africa had something similar in the LS2 regulations.

talking with owners who have worked under both systems they have never seen problems caused by owner maintenance. in fact most aircraft seem to improve as owners take the time to undo the effects of time and wear on the aircraft.

admittedly not all owners have the necessary skills and knowledge off the bat when these changes are introduced, but owning the aircraft and meeting the costs of fixing stuff ups is a fairly powerful motivator to learn and become competent and lets face it aircraft aren't that complex. AC43-13/2b is a fairly good educational tool.

late amendment.
haven't found the regs I am after but start a browse with this page. it'll give you a smile.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviatio...507sh-1837.htm
and this one...
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviatio...ation-2752.htm

this isn't the amending reg I was looking for but is the full incorporated regulation.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviatio...04.htm#507s_03

you'll wish we all lived in canada.

Last edited by dubbleyew eight; 26th Aug 2014 at 09:57.